Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Blabbermouth #01: Book Love Evolves to Book Hoarding

Tonight I feel like writing, just blather on about inane things and fill your head with unnecessary information. I hope that's forgivable since I haven't done so for a while now. :P My regular school workload plus some other org responsibilities had kept me from blogging since the start of the semester, but fortunately not from my books. Yes, I am still in my reading phase and I don't expect that to go away anytime soon. How about I blabber about that, hmm? *sings The Smiths' Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want*

If you read my earlier posts, you will know that I recently rediscovered my love for literature just this year. I originally thought it's not going to last that long because I didn't know I had that patience in me. But miracle of miracles, it exists! I signed up at Goodreads and, again through Bennard's coaxing, joined The Filipino Group. I had my first buddy reading with other members K.D., Mae, and the ever-supportive boyfriend Bennard, for Nicole Krauss' The History of Love and the experience was like a breath of fresh air. Never in my wildest dreams had I seen myself exchanging thoughts with hardcore bibliophiles. And so, as you may have already predicted, it only strengthened my bond with my books.


From scouring boutiques and shops in search for that cute top or matching accessories, Bennard and I are now on the quest to hunting the greatest book finds. We would stop at any bookstore that comes in our way and spend a good number of minutes looking for something we could buy. We even go for lengths as to visiting bookshops not near the UP-Katipunan area. (Yes, this phase is bordering on obsession!) Our usual stops include the AS Bookstore and two other second-hand bookstores in UP, Bookay Ukay in Maginhawa area, Fully Booked, National Bookstore and Powerbooks (Katipunan, Araneta Center, Trinoma, SM North Edsa, and Shang), Booksale (Cubao and SM North) and Chapters and Pages (whenever we chance upon one). The universe even conspired in making me a full-fledged book-hoarder: lots of sale going on in bookstores everywhere! NBS, for example, is currently on a 70% markdown on selected items! Just this weekend, I bought a copy of The Elegance of a Hedgehog, originally priced at 399, at only 319 pesos! It may seem a little savings, but you must know that I almost bought a 500-peso copy at Fully Booked one month ago. Imagine my delight! Also this weekend, we happened to pass by the "nomadic" Chapters and Pages bookstore in SM North Edsa and, not wanting to miss any opportunity, we patiently rummaged into the stacks and shelves. Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin, hidden behind a pile, was there, as if it's waiting to be found by me, and only me! I bought it for 99 pesos, with another book titled The Muse Asylum coming for free since they were both labeled Buy 1 Take 1. And I almost asked Bennard to buy this Man Booker Award winner for 599 pesos--which I know it deserves but, still, is it a crime to wish for a bargain?--at Fully Booked! Another gem. :)



Book sale hunting
So maybe what I am trying to say is that this new hobby has began to influence my lifestyle immensely. I frequent Goodreads now more than I do Tumblr and Pinterest. I prefer following book blogs now over fashion sites. My sisters--and I do mean plural!; will blather about that later--and I have got a lot more things to talk about, topics like our latest reads and finds, adding up to our already long list. Bennard is now a happier soul, with someone to talk to about the things he is most passionate about. But most importantly, it opened my eyes to wider possibilities, taught me how to see life in a more colorful and richer sense, brought me to new places with my imagination as portal, and inspired me to be more patient and more open-minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment